WoodGreen’s Financial Empowerment Program provides free financial information, counselling and support to members of the Toronto community who are living on a low income. Our goal is to empower our clients with the knowledge and skills to manage their finances and make informed decisions about their financial futures.
We offer the following free services to equip our clients with the right tools for financial success:
Free Income Tax Clinic
The WoodGreen Income Tax Clinic is a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program that provides the following free services for people who are living on a low income:
- Preparation of simple tax returns,
- Preparation of up to 10 years of back taxes
- Making corrections to tax returns that were already filed (T1 adjustments)
- Understanding and responding to CRA Letters
- Understanding and responding to tax debt
- Other tax-related matters
Please note that we are unable to prepare returns for individuals who:
- Have passed away
- Filed for bankruptcy in the past year
- Have self-employment deductions to claim
- Have rental or business income to report
- Have capital gains or losses to report
- Have investment income of more than $1,000 per year
Services are located year-round at WoodGreen Head Office (815 Danforth, 3rd Floor) and East Scarborough Storefront (4040 Lawrence Ave E).
Additional locations are available during the months of March and April.
Contact that tax clinic at 416-645-6000 ext. 1187 or e-mail email@example.com for information or to book your appointment.
Financial Empowerment Counselling
This is a free service for low-income clients who have problems accessing government benefits and/or banking services, money management issues, or general financial questions. Clients meet one-on-one with trained financial counsellors to learn how to manage their finances, find solutions to their financial problems and achieve their financial goals. We can help with topics like:
- Understanding and Applying for Canada Learning Bond
- Accessing and Restoring Government Benefits
- Debt Management
- Savings Tools and Options
- Improving Credit
Services available at WoodGreen Head Office (815 Danforth, 3rd Floor) and East Scarborough Storefront (4040 Lawrence Ave E).
Contact us for more information or to book your appointment.
Financial Empowerment Workshops
The WoodGreen Financial Empowerment Program delivers free presentations in the community on topics such as:
- Canada Learning Bond
- Budgeting and Money Management
- Debt and Credit Management
- Banking and Financial Services
- Income Tax, Benefits and Credits
- Low-Income Retirement Planning
- Consumer Awareness and Fraud
- Power of Attorney for Property and Personal Care
- Benefits, Supports and Tax Credits for Persons Living with Disabilities and their Caregivers
Workshops can be customized or developed to suit an organization’s needs and interests. Contact us for more information or to book your presentation.